Wednesday 25 February 2015

NEWS: The Oscars


So it looks like I was a bit wrong. No, not just about Best Adapted Screenplay.

Let me say first that I don't think for one second that Birdman didn't deserve to win a Best Picture Oscar. I loved that film like nobody's business (I gave it five stars!), it had a great screenplay, it was beautifully shot, and had a really good director behind it - dodgy digs at Mexicans aside, Iñárritu's victory was one of the highlights of a (boring) show. And even when you take into account the rest of the awards doled out on the night, I'll be the first to admit that this has been a really good year for cinema - the fact that films like Selma and Foxcatcher only managed to make a peripheral impact at awards season says a lot.

But in ten years, when we're in the pub and trying to answer a deviously difficult question about 2015's Oscar ceremony, we won't be thinking of Birdman, or J. K. Simmons, or Lady Gaga, or even Neil Patrick Harris' tighty whities.

We'll be thinking, "Was that the year Boyhood didn't win?"