Thursday 11 September 2014

REVIEW: The Equalizer


Disclaimer: I walked out of The Equalizer about an hour in. The reason? I found it too unpleasant, on multiple levels, and couldn't stomach it. Sorry if that makes me unprofessional, although I'm 99% sure I could guess where it was going. The plot concerns a man with a past (Denzel Washington) who feels compelled to defend the honour of a good-natured prostitute when she is beaten by Russian gangsters. He then takes up the mantle of a warrior of justice and sets out to right the wrongs of his city. Sounds familiar? It's Batman with all the personality and fun taken out of it, Robin Hood without the camp tights. And it's incredibly violent. The execution of a gang of Russians is shot in the style of a music video, so we see a close-up of a corkscrew entering a man's jaw, a shot glass being jammed into another man's eye. Is this entertainment? Washington murmurs a “sorry” after the bloodshed, as if that can make up for the glamorisation of his violence. And the point where I gave up was a scene where a prostitute was strangled by the villain with an unironic tattoo of the devil on his back. THE DEVIL. ON HIS BACK. BECAUSE HE'S THE BAD GUY. DO YOU GET IT?

Seriously, I know that violence is an inseparable element of cinema, and in the right circumstances it can be good fun. Tarantino's made a career out of it, and when watching this I was longing for the arrival of another Taken, which had the good sense not to take itself too seriously. But The Equalizer comes nowhere close, its gratuitous violence made all the more offensive by its pretentions to being something meaningful. Not even Washington can save it. Again, I walked out after an hour, so perhaps I haven't judged the film fairly, but even if the last half an hour contained an extravagant finale complete with explosions, car chases, dance routines et al I'd still ask for my money back.