Thursday 7 June 2012

REVIEW: Prometheus


There's certainly a reason why I don't traditionally follow the hype of a new product, be it a movie, game or breakfast cereal. It's the mentality behind keeping an open mind before entering a new experience, so that my perspective can't be tainted by false promises or speculation. Yet from time to time, there'll be such a forceful wave of excitement radiating off something new that I can't help but be swept along with the flow as such, so much so that I feel as if I know the experience before, well, experiencing it firsthand.

This was, unfortunately, the case with Prometheus, Ridley Scott's eagerly awaited return to sci-fi, a genre he defined with great movies such as Alien and Blade Runner. There seemed to be a new trailer or piece of promotional material out every week, revealing a horrific number of details about plot (see this poster to see what I mean – it goes without saying that this is a spoilerific piece of marketing). And it eventually became impossible to avoid the sensation, the breaking point being interrupting Homeland's ad break to show us a "world premier" of the trailer, for Christ's sake. I found being told to tweet "#areyouseeingthis" borderline offensive – yes, I'm seeing this. I'm seeing an overlong trailer interrupting one of my favourite television shows to spoil the plot of a movie I don't want to learn. Now leave me alone.

However, like the fool that I am, I eventually succumbed to Prometheus' hype, and I'm afraid that this made my viewing experience all the more painful. For you see, in my honest opinion, I do not rate Ridley Scott's new movie very highly – in fact, I found it to be a tremendous disappointment.

Let me start by engaging in specifics as to why I rated the movie this way. It was not the fault of the highly attractive cast – no, most were cast well and acted well, namely Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and an excellent Michael Fassbender as a David Bowie-esque android. Nor was it totally the fault of the direction of Ridley Scott himself – the CGI was (for the most part) beautiful, and the man always knows how to draw a viewer in with awe-inspiring cinematography. No, I believe that the downfall of Prometheus lies within its plot and screenplay, and overall structure as a 2-hour long, self-contained film.

The plot concerns an interplanetary spaceship called "Prometheus", which is sent to explore an unknown planet which may contain the creators of human life. Once there, ancient ruins are explored, mysterious alien artefacts are discovered, and – spoilers – everything goes wrong. Upon first glance, this may seem like standard space opera affair, which would be a reasonable conclusion to draw from not only the trailers but also the fact that the film takes place in the same universe as the Alien franchise, and has been (rightly) touted as a prequel to the films.

Yet, somehow, Prometheus manages to defy expectations and come up with something completely different. Rather than providing a clear, consistent narrative, the film instead meanders somewhat and, having set up its premise, never truly delivers. The key theme behind the movie appears to be psychological horror as opposed to its physical counterpart in the form of Alien, and it also enters philosophical territory when contemplating the origins of life itself. These kinds of ideas could certainly work on a film such as this, but unfortunately they are poorly executed by the movie's screenplay. Scenes will go on between characters for too long, and then the action will uncomfortably change to sub-par survival horror. Characters act far too stupidly in dangerous situations, and are unconvincing in their roles as supposedly smart scientists. There is far too much unnecessary deliberation and dips in momentum between set pieces, and the movie cannot for the life it decide whether it wants to be metaphysical or not – it swings between two ends of a spectrum throughout its running time, ultimately settling on the metaphysical but far too late for its own good. A superior movie would support its themes and ideas with a strong plot, but in this case the plot simply buckles under the tremendous pressure.

If I had to sum up my rambling thoughts about this movie with one word, I would probably describe it as either "incomprehensible", "convoluted" or "inconsistent". I realise that that is three words, but in terms of structure and narrative one hour or so into the movie this is how I find much of my thought process. Undoubtedly, the movie has its strengths, and upon viewing Prometheus one should expect to be surprised, as the movie goes places one would not expect – though how positive this aspect truly is is debatable. Also, despite my earlier criticism there are several exciting moments during the feature, although a viewer with an aversion to blood and gore would do well to avoid this one, as there are some truly horrific scenes throughout the movie. However, do not expect to walk out of the cinema feeling satisfied, for this is not a movie which provides answers – it ends with (what I found to be tedious) inevitability, and there is a plentiful population plot holes which I continue to puzzle over. One could say that it simply does not live up to the hype.

★★½